7 Generations of Toothakers in America compiled by Tom Ramsey This outline traces 7 generations of the Toothaker family from the immigrant Roger 1 to the migration to Ohio. This has been a very interesting family to research. New information has been added on the Andrew Toothaker 3 line, Sandy Gates is responsible for compiling this information. There have been a few photographs added, coutesy of Janet Barrett. This outline has been compiled with research and information from several genealogists, including Janet Barrett, Sandy Gates (email@example.com), Jerry Ramsey of Kenton, Ohio (JRam@kenton.com) and James W. Toothaker (Effingham, Ill.). (Photographs copyright Janet Barrett)
Roger Toothaker 1
Roger Toothaker was born in England about 1612. He came to New England in 1635 on the Hopewell, along with his wife Margaret, then 28, and his infant son Roger. Roger died by 5 February 1637/8 when widow Margaret Toothaker was granted land. Margaret remarried to Ralph Hill on 21 December 1638 in Plymouth Colony. They were in Woburn by 1645 and in Billerica by 1654. Margaret died at Billerica 22 December 1683.
- Roger b. 1634 England
- Martha b. Circa 1636 Plymouth Colony d. 4 January 1703 Billerica m. Ralph Hill Jr. 15 November 1660 Billerica
Roger Toothaker 2 (Roger)
Roger, son of Roger and Margaret Toothaker, was born 1634 in England. He married Mary Allin, a daughter of Andrew Allin and Faith Ingalls, at Billerica on 9 June 1665. Roger was a physician, although possibly more of a self taught herbalist by today's standards, and Mary was a midwife. Billerica Records show that on 12 March 1682/3 and on 15 December 1684 the town Selectmen intervened for Roger to take care of his family, which he apparently ignored as the family received aid from the town.
This family had quite an involvement in the witchcraft trials at Salem. In those times doctors would often blame untreatable illnesses on witchcraft. Dr. Toothaker had claimed to many people that his daughter (Martha Emerson) had killed a witch. On 18 May 1692 Salem filed a complaint against Dr. Roger Toothaker for witchcraft, and he was taken to Boston Prison. He had been accused by Elizabeth Hubbard, Ann Putnam, Jr., and Mary Walcott, who had accused many of witchcraft. Elizabeth Hubbard was the 17 year-old servant of Dr. William Griggs of Andover, a rival doctor. Dr. Griggs was a witchcraft conspirator, he used his 17 year-old servant to accuse many of witchcraft. On 28 May, Mary Toothaker, her 9 year-old daughter Margaret, Martha Carrier (Mary Allin Toothaker's sister) of Andover, and Elizabeth (Jackson) Howe of Ipswich Farms (a cousin in law) were arrested for witchcraft. Roger died 16 June 1692, in Boston Prison, he had probably been tortured. There is not a record of torture, it was most likely covered up as 24 men inspected the body to confirm he died of natural causes.
Mary Toothaker was examined by John Hawthorne on 30 July 1692. She said that she feared the Indians so much that she had made a pact with the Devil to protect her. Of course knowing how the Witchcraft Trials were conducted, the confession was either fabricated or coerced, though she probably did greatly fear the Indians. The area had been attacked by the Indians numerous times in the preceding few years. Her and her daughter Margaret stayed in prison. Two days after the examination the Indians attacked Billerica, burning the vacant Toothaker house. At the end of January 1693 the were freed and went back home to the burned out house. Mary Toothaker went on helping sick people. Martha Carrier was condemned and hanged as a witch, on the testimonies of many people, including Roger Toothaker's son Allin. This family again suffered in the Indian massacre of Billerica of 5 August 1695. Mary Allin Toothaker was killed, and daughter Margaret was captured by the Indians, never to be seen again.
children all born at Billerica, Massachusetts
- Nathaniel b. 27 April 1666 d. 18 May 1683 Billerica
- Martha b. 23 July 1668 d. 14 January 1725/6 Haverhill, Mass. m. Joseph Emerson 16 July 1690 Haverhill, Mass.
- Allin b. 17 September 1670
- Roger b. 27 November 1672
- Sarah b. Circa 1674
- Mary b. 7 June 1675 d. 14 October 1675 Billerica
- Mary b. 28 September 1676 d. 5 December 1683 Billerica
- Andrew b. 4 October 1679
- Margaret b. 31 January 1682/3 Captured by Indians 5 August 1695 at Billerica
Roger Toothaker 3(Roger, Roger)
Roger Toothaker was born 27 November 1672 in Billerica, the third son of Roger and Mary (Allin) Toothaker. He was also a physician. He married Sarah Rogers, daughter of Thomas and Mary Rogers, at Billerica 20 July 1703. She died 8 March 1717/8 at Billerica. Roger remarried 7 August 1718 to Phebe Baldwin, who died 19 September 1736. Roger died 9 March 1745 at Billerica.
children, all of Sarah, all born at Billerica
- Margaret b. 9 January 1703 m. Ebenezer Felch of Reading 28 January 1733/4 Billerica
- Mary b. 26 October 1705 m. John Rogers Jr. 26 November 1721 Billerica m. 2. Dr. Benjamin Atherton 25 December 1733 Billerica
- Grace b. 3 July 1708
- Sarah b. 4 April 1710 d. 5 December 1754 at Tewksbury, Middlesex Co., Mass. m. John Levestone Jr. 15 February 1736/7 Billerica
- Roger b. 28 July 1712
- Martha b. 27 September 1717
Andrew Toothaker 3(Roger, Roger) (Information on this line is a compilation from different researchers - As author of this website I did not do the research on this line and I do not have documentation for it.)
Andrew Toothaker was born 4 October 1679 in Billerica, the fourth son of Roger and Mary (Allin) Toothaker. He married about 1707 to Abigail __. Andrew was at York, Maine as early as 1713, then to Harpswell with sons Seth and Ebenezer as early as 1737. Andrew died in 1760 at Harpswell, Maine.
- Abigail b. 1707
- Mehitable b. 13 Mar 1707/1708 in York, Maine, d. about 1795 in Georgetown, Maine. Found to be non compos mentis (mentally ill) Mehitable married Benjamin Grover on 27 Apr 1731 in York, Maine. Benjamin was born 12 Nov 1712 in York, Maine. Benjamin lived in York at least until 1741. Five of his children's births are listed in the York Town Vital Record Book. Mary, the eldest, has a # in front of her name, indicating she was deceased at the time of the enumeration. 1742-1745, Benjamin moved to North Yarmouth (Harpswell). The suggestion has been made that he went with the Toothakers, his wife's family. The Toothakers are known to have settled in Harpswell at about that time. Benjamin didn't stay long in Harpswell. He seems to have moved to Parker's Island, Georgetown, by 1748. No death record has been found for Benjamin. He's noted as deceased in the probate of his father, Andrew's, estate in May 1754.
- Elizabeth b. 28 Jul 1710 in York, Maine, m. Elisha Allen. Elisha b. about 18 Jun 1709.
- Seth b. 5 March 1714/1715 York, Maine
- Ebenezer b. 3 January 1717/1718 York, Maine
- (Poss) Margaret b. 3 Jan 1720/1721.
- Mary b. 5 September 1722 York, Maine, m. (1) Job Moulton 20 Sep 1740. m. (2) Benjamin Denslow 6 Aug 1747 in Yarmouth, Maine
Roger Toothaker 4(Roger, Roger, Roger)
Roger, the only son of Roger and Sarah (Rogers) Toothaker, was born 28 July 1712 in Billerica. He probably spent his lifetime in Billerica carrying on the family tradition as a physician. His wife was Mary Crosby, born 24 August 1712, daughter of Josiah and Mary (Manning) Crosby. Roger died 20 December 1759 at Billerica, buried at Old Corner.
children all born at Billerica, Massachusetts
- Roger b. 5 September 1744
- Timothy b. 4 December 1745
- Allin b. 1 August 1747 Allin Toothaker was married to Abigail French of Dunstable. He was a physician at Merrimack, New Hampshire. When his brother Timothy was wounded at Bunker Hill, Allin went to care for him. He contracted a fever, went home to Merrimack and died 12 July 1775. He is buried at Turkey Hill Cemetery.
- Molle b. 24 June 1749 d. 7 March 1750 Billerica
- Mary b. 13 April 1751 d. 1 November 1825 at Dracut, Middlesex Co, Mass., buried at Hildreth Burying Ground. m. Zachariah Goodhue of Dracut 9 December 1779 Billerica
- Sarah b. 5 June 1753 m. Samuel Danforth Jr. 28 April 1774 Billerica
Seth Toothaker 4 (Andrew, Roger, Roger )
Seth Toothaker was born 5 Mar 1714/1715 in York, Maine. He died in Harpswell, Maine. Seth married Hannah Webber about 1742 in Harpswell, Maine.
- Paul b. 1764 d. 19 Oct 1844.
- Roger Roger married (1) Elizabeth Ewing on 14 Oct 1773 in Harpswell, Maine. Roger also married (2) Hannah Hibbard.
- Seth b. 1757 d. 21 Dec 1849.
- Joanna b. before 3 Mar 1754 in Harpswell, Maine. She died young.
- Ephraim b. before 29 Aug 1756.
- Deborah b. before 4 Aug 1762. d. 20 Aug 1835 in Bowdoin, Maine. Deborah married Joseph Tarr.
- (Poss) Dorothy married Robert Gordon.
- (Poss.) Sarah married John Freaze.
Ebenezer Toothaker 4 (Andrew, Roger, Roger )
Ebenezer Toothaker was born 3 Jan 1717/1718 in Harpswell, Maine. He died in Harpswell, Maine. Ebenezer married Mary Hall on 10 Jul 1739. Mary was born about 1721.
- Ebenezer b. about 1740 d. 1788.
- William b. about 1742 d. before 1790.
- Eliza b. about 1745. m. Faniel BLAKE on 26 Jun 1766.
- Abraham b. 15 Aug 1747 d. 2 Aug 1829.
- Nathaniel b. about 1749 d. after 1800.
- Mercy b. 23 Dec 1752. d. in infancy.
- Isaac b. 1754.
- Mercy b. 7 Mar 1756. d. in Infancy.
- Sabra b. about 1758. m. 25 Jun 1775Benjamin Dinslow, Harpswell, Maine. Benjamin b. at Harpswell, Maine.
- John b. about 1765 d. 1806.
Roger Toothaker 5(Roger, Roger, Roger, Roger)
Roger, the oldest son of Roger and Mary (Crosby) Toothaker, was born 5 September 1744 at Billerica. His wife was Mary Wright, who was born August 1748 at Wilmington, Mass. When the Revolution broke out he fought at Lexington, and then served several enlistments in the Massachusetts Line. At the end of the war he was discharged by General Washington at Newburgh. After the war Roger moved his family to Merrimack, New Hampshire. By 1800 they were in Keene, New Hampshire. By May 1818 the family was in Hyde Park, Vermont, where Roger applied for his Revolutionary War Pension. In a pension statement of 28 June 1820 Roger states that he is a farmer unable to labor, that his wife Mary is aged 74 years, that they own no real estate and that their personal estate consists of an old chest of drawers, and that they live with and are supported by their son James, aged 31 years. The pension was filed in Orleans County, Vermont and was later transferred to New York state, where Roger probably died between 27 July 1825 and 14 February 1832 (possibly 8 Dec 1831 at Trenton, N.H.). Mary died at Hyde Park in 1824.
children, first five born at Billerica, others at Merrimack
- Roger b. 4 January 1771
- Lucretia b. 28 December 1773
- Caroline b. 4 April 1775 m. Elijah Reed 25 January 1796 Walpole, N. H.
- Mary b. 8 February 1777
- Charles b. 7 August 1779
- Allen b. 2 September 1784
- Samuel b. 2 September 1784
- James b. 12 September 1786
- Clarissa (probable child) b 23 May 1790 m. Dennison Coates
Timothy Toothaker 5(Roger, Roger, Roger, Roger)
Timothy, the second son of Roger and Mary (Crosby) Toothaker, was born 4 December 1745 at Billerica. His wife was Lydia. Timothy Toothaker died from wounds received at the battle of Bunker Hill in June 1775.
children all born at Billerica
- Lydia b. 5 December 1767
- Sarah b. 8 February 1771
- Timothy b. 18 June 1773
- Allin b. 24 June 1775
Paul Toothaker 5 (Seth, Andrew, Roger, Roger ) b. 1764. d. 19 Oct 1844. m. Isabella Sally Buck 3 Sep 1819.
- Elizabeth b. 1823 d. 26 May 1894.m. Robert Hewey.
Roger Toothaker 5 (Seth, Andrew, Roger, Roger ) b. ca 1752. Roger married (1) Elizabeth Ewing on 14 Oct 1773 in Harpswell, Maine. Elizabeth Ewing was born ca 1752 and died 12 March 1833. Roger also may have married (2) Hannah Hibbard.
- Joanna b: 1775
- Ephraim b: 1779
- Nancy b: 1783
- Roger b: 1785
Seth Toothaker 5 (Seth, Andrew, Roger, Roger ) b. 1757. d. 21 Dec 1849 m. Martha Haskell 28 Feb 1781. Martha b. 1761. d. 16 Feb 1837, Harpswell, Maine.
- Abigail b. 17 Dec 1786. m.Charles Webber 1808.
- Ruth b. 17 Dec 1788. d. 7 Mar 1883.
- William b. 1790.
- Joanna b. 19 May 1792. d. 4 Sep 1890 in Portland, Maine. m. David Orr
- Lydia d. at South Harpswell, Maine. m. David Noble
- David d. 3 Jul 1879 in Brunswick, Maine. m. Harriett Elliott. Harriett d. 7 Jul 1844.
- Aaron b. 1801 d. 9 Dec 1851.
Gideon Toothaker 5 (Seth, Andrew, Roger, Roger ) b. at Harpswell, Maine. m. Abigail Rodick 9 Jan 1775. Abigail b. 11 Feb 1750/1751 at Harpswell, Maine.
- Andrew b. 10 Apr 1776 d. 23 Jan 1839.
- Abigail b. 22 Nov 1779. d. 6 Nov 1828 at Brunswick, Maine m. Patrick Kincaid
- William Rodick b. 19 Feb 1782 d. 11 Aug 1848.
- Mary b. 1785 at Harpswell, Maine. d. 10 Jun 1845.
- Gideon b. about 1789. d. young.
- Charles b. 1 Jun 1792 d. 5 Nov 1872.
Ebenezer Toothaker 5 (Ebenezer, Andrew, Roger, Roger ) b. about 1740 in Harpswell, Maine d. 1788 in Harpswell, Maine. m.Margaret Thompson 1763 in Harpswell, Maine. Margaret b. about 1741 in Harpswell, Maine. d. 26 Aug 1857 in Harpswell, Maine.
- Ebenezer b. about 1766.
- Sarah b. about 1764. m.John Frieze
- Joseph b. about 1770. m. Sarah Bickman on 3 Aug 1791.
- Abigail b. 1772. m. ? Ross.
- Mercy b. 1774.
- Nathaniel b. 1776. m. Catherine Campbell 3 May 1817 in Licking County, Ohio.
- John b. 5 Jan 1779 d. 8 Oct 1840.
- Margery b. 2 Sep 1781 in Harpswell, Maine. d. Oct 1861 in New Haven, Indiana. m. (1) Joshua Small 30 Dec 1797 in Bowdoin, Maine. Joshua b. 16 Jan 1774 in Harpswell, Maine. He died 10 Mar 1835 in Bowdoin, Maine. m. (2) ? Piper after 1835. Joshua and Margery probably lived in Bowdoin until his death. In the Bowdoin Census of 1850, Margery listed her age as 67; making her 14 or 15 years old at the birth of her first child. In 1850, Margery was living with her daughter, Mahala Grover and moved, with them, to New Haven, Indiana., where both she and Mahala were midwives.
- Elijah b. about 1768 in Harpswell, Maine. d. 1810 (Drowned). m. Elizabeth Daggett 23 May 1792 in Deer Isle, Maine.
William Toothaker 5 (Ebenezer, Andrew, Roger, Roger ) b. about 1742 in Harpswell, Maine. d. before 1790. m. ?
- William b. 1782 d. after 1847.
Abraham Toothaker 5 (Ebenezer, Andrew, Roger, Roger ) b. 15 Aug 1747 in Harpswell, Maine d. 2 Aug 1829 in Topsham, Maine. m. (1) Mary Willson 7 Sep 1769 in Harpswell, Maine. Mary b. 1752 d. 24 Jan 1800. m. (2) Elizabeth before 1807. Elizabeth d. 8 Aug 1807. m. (3) Hannah Johnson 8 Sep 1808. Hannah b. about 1759, d. 4 Oct 1847.
- Alexander b. 7 Sep 1771 in Topsham, Maine. m. Elizabeth Allen.
- Abraham b. Mar 1774. d. 1 Jul 1833 m. Catherine Wilson 31 May 1803. Catherine b. 1785 d. 1885.
- Elizabeth b. 14 Jul 1777 d. 11 Apr 1861.
- Mary Molly b. 18 Aug 1780.
- Catherine b. 3 Jun 1783.
- Isaac b. 22 Aug 1785.
- Rebecca b. 1780 in Topsham, Maine. d. 1855.
- Jennet b. 19 Jun 1792 in Topsham, Maine. d. 16 Feb 1863.
Nathaniel Toothaker 5 (Ebenezer, Andrew, Roger, Roger ) b. about 1749 d. after 1800. m. (1) Ruth Coombs 24 Oct 1782 in Harpswell, Maine. m. (2) Catherine Daggett
children of Nathaniel and Ruth:
- Mary m. William HOWARD 23 Mar 1807.
- Bethiah m. Luther Simmons 23 Mar 1807.
John Toothaker 5 (Ebenezer, Andrew, Roger, Roger ) b. about 1765 in Harpswell, Maine. d. 1806 in Harpswell, Maine. m. (Prob) Sarah Bradbury died in Richmond, Maine.
- Joseph b. 17 Feb 1795 d. 11 Jan 1878.
- Mary b. 10 Jun 1796 d. 1879. m. Joel Card 14 Jul 1822 Joel d. 25 Feb 1849.
- Judith b. 28 Jul 1802. d. 28 May 1877. m. Stephen Ross 2 Dec 1824 in Bowdoin, Maine. Stephen b. 19 Nov 1802 d. 28 Apr 1890 in Charleston, Maine.
- Jacob b. 4 Jul 1803 d. 9 Aug 1886.
- John . m. Anna R. Haynes 26 Sep 1826 in Bangor, Maine.
- Elijah b. about 1806 d. about 1860 in Bangor, Maine m. Sarah Tazier 6 Feb 1831 in Bangor, Maine. Sarah d. 1873.
- Sarah d. young.
Roger Toothaker 6 (Roger, Roger, Roger, Roger, Roger)
Roger, the first born son of Roger and Mary (Wright) Toothaker, was born 4 January 1771 at Billerica. He was a farmer and pioneer. His wife was Ruth Cook, born about 1784 in Connecticut. In 1800 they were in Otsego County, New York. They were in Jefferson County, Ohio, by 1804, purchasing land at the Stuebenville Land Office. By 1816 they had moved to Fayette County, Ohio. Roger died 11 April 1843, and is buried in the Salem Lloyd Cemetery, Madison Township, Fayette County. Ruth died in Effingham County, Illinois in early 1854.
- Mary b. Circa 1800 m. Henry McClure 28 March 1818 Fayette Co., Ohio
- Horace b. 4 October 1801 New York d. 17 April 1856 Effingham Co., Ill. m. Elizabeth m.2. Eliza
- Lucinda b. 1 August 1803 d. 4 July 1881 m. Joshua Leazenby
- Elizabeth b. 23 February 1803 d. Before 1848 m. David Jewett 1 January 1826 Fayette Co., Ohio
- Clarissa b. 1805 Jefferson Co., Ohio d. 18 October 1875 Logan Co., Ohio m. Andrew Ramsey 1 April 1824 Fayette Co., Ohio
- Caroline b. Circa 1806 Jefferson Co., Ohio m. Maxwell Crabbs 28 June 1826 Fayette Co., Ohio m.2. Samuel Coover
- Rachel b. Circa 1811 Jefferson Co., Ohio m. George Hammond 28 September 1831 Fayette Co., Ohio
- Charles b. Circa 1813 Jefferson Co., Ohio m. Elizabeth (in Illinois 1848)
- William b. 30 April 1816 Fayette Co., Ohio d. 16 August 1853 Effingham Co., Illinois m. Ellen Penwell 17 February 1842 Pickaway Co., Ohio
- Hester Ann b. Circa 1823 Fayette Co., Ohio m. William Watts 16 November 1843 Fayette Co., Ohio
Charles Toothaker 6 (Roger, Roger, Roger, Roger, Roger)
Charles Toothaker, b. 7 August 1779 was a Doctor. He married Eunice B. Bowman, daughter of Thadeus and Elizabeth Bowman, on 21 November 1804 at Weathersfield, Vermont. Eunice was born 15 September 1782 and died 14 December 1838. He married 2nd to Eliza Perry of Methuen at Chelmsford on 13 December 1841. Dr. Charles Toothaker died at Byfield, Mass. on 19 August 1859 and is buried at Old Corner at Billerica beside his first wife Eunice.
- Charles E. b. 30 Nov 1805. d. 5 Dec 1890.
- Samuel Allen m.Ellen Brown.
- James S. .
James Toothaker 6(Roger, Roger, Roger, Roger, Roger)
James, the youngest child of Roger and Mary (Wright) Toothaker, was born 12 September 1786 at Merrimack, New Hampshire. His wife was Polly Fisk, daughter of Ebenezer and Betsy Fisk, who was born 11 May 1786. His father's pension statement of 28 June 1820 states that they lived with and were supported by their son James, aged 31 years. James died 5 February 1865 at Hyde Park, Vermont. Polly died 18 January 1865.
- Clarine b. m. George F. Fairfield 29 June 1841 Vermont
- Charles G. b. 1812 m. Lucinda Montgomery 7 April 1839 Vermont
- Alvira M. b. 1815 d. 28 February 1844 Vermont
- Mary Melinda b. Circa 1815 Vermont d. 18 June 1868 Vermont m. Mark Chase
- Lucy b. 1825 Vermont
- James N. b. 1826 d. 19 August 1854 Hyde Park, Vermont
Ephraim Toothaker 6 (Roger, Seth, Andrew, Roger, Roger ) b. before 29 Aug 1756 at Harpswell, Maine. d. at Phillips, Maine. Ephraim married Lydia Brown. Lydia b. at Topsham, Maine.
They had the following children:
- Ephraim b. 5 Mar 1797.
- Margaret b. 2 Aug 1801 at Lisbon, Maine. m. Joseph Whittemore
- Ewing b. 2 Feb 1803 at Lisbon, Maine.
- Eliza b. 1 Mar 1805 at Lisbon, Maine.
- Philenia b. 27 Aug 1807 at Lisbon, Maine.
- Harriet b. 28 Dec 1810.
- William b. 21 Aug 1813 at Lisbon, Maine. d. about 1891 at Phillips, Maine. m. (1) Abigail Hewey, m. (2) Emeline Hewey.
- George b. 18 Nov 1816 at Lisbon, Maine. d. 3 Jul 1898 at Phillips, Maine. m.
Eliza Staples on 4 Oct 1839.
- Lydia b. 30 Apr 1819.
William Toothaker 6 (Seth , Seth , Andrew , Roger, Roger )
William was born 1790. William married (1) Claudia Clara Curtis on 1815. William also married (2) Susan Leavett. Susan was born 1796. She died 1 Nov 1832. William also married (3) Jane Pinkham on 22 Feb 1835. Jane was born 1794. She died 29 Sep 1862.
William and Susan had the following children
- David Noble was born Sep 1830.
- William Noble was born 23 Sep 1830.
- Seth was born 11 Jun 1832. Seth married Sophia H. Getchell on 28 Nov 1859. Sophia was born 30 Apr 1835. She died 1 Jun 1871.
Aaron Toothaker 6 (Seth , Seth , Andrew , Roger, Roger )
Aaron was born 1801. He died 9 Dec 1851. Aaron married Lydia Furbush.
They had the following children:
- Mary W. was born 1833.
- Melinda was born 1834. She died 1864. Melinda married George Tingley on 1850.
- Orissa M. was born 1837.
- Lydia J. was born 1839. She died 1861.
- William H. was born 1841. William married Hattie Campbell on 9 Feb 1869.
- Ephraim was born 2 Aug 1843.
Andrew Toothaker 6 (Gideon , Seth , Andrew , Roger, Roger )
Andrew Toothaker was born 10 Apr 1776 in Harpswell, Maine. He died 23 Jan 1839. Andrew married (1) Miriam ?. Miriam was born 1781. Andrew also married (2) Elizabeth PROUT after 13 Dec 1806. Elizabeth died 15 Apr 1857.
Andrew and Miriam had the following children:
- David was born Aug 1802. He died 3 May 1864. David married Hannah Prout on 25 Dec 1861. Hannah was born 10 May 1800. She died 20 Jan 1886.
- Lucinda was born 1803. She died 25 Dec 1861. Lucinda married Israel Rodick on 19 Jan 1830. Israel was born 1805. He died 1887.
- Judith was born 1805. Judith married John Hopkins.
- Lydia . Lydia married Barnabas Pratt.
Andrew and Elizabeth had the following children:
- John was born 30 Jul 1807. He died 19 Nov 1880. John married Eleanor Rodick. Eleanor was born 3 Dec 1840. She died 30 Aug 1879.
- Mary was born 1809. Mary married David Kincaid.
- Elizabeth was born 23 Nov 1812. Elizabeth married (1) Edward Parsons on 29 Nov 1831. Elizabeth also married (2) Nelly Millay.
- Jane Thomas was born 7 Feb 1815. She died 31 May 1881. Jane married Captain Joseph Alezander. Captain was born 1810. He died 1890.
- Hannah was born 18 Jun 1817. She died Jun 1881 in Brooklyn, New York. Hannah married Jonathan Winslow.
William Rodick Toothaker 6 (Gideon , Seth , Andrew , Roger, Roger )
William Rodick Toothaker was born 19 Feb 1782 in Harpswell, Maine. He died 11 Aug 1848 in Saugerville, Maine. Served in the War of 1812. William married Susannah Tarr. Susannah was born 9 Oct 1784.
They had the following children:
- Deborah was born 1807. She died 1894. Deborah married Amasa Hatch.
- Miriam was born 1806. She died 1887. Miriam married Asa Towns.
- William was born 21 Dec 1811. He died Jul 1894. William married (1) Rebecca Jack. Rebecca died Jan 1852 in Richmond, Maine. William also married (2) Rebecca Williams.
- Charles was born 2 Jul 1809. He died about 1835.
- Joel was born 26 Jul 1815. He died 13 Feb 1849. Joel married Nancy Potter on 22 Sep 1839. Nancy was born 1815. She died 1894.
Charles Toothaker 6 (Gideon , Seth , Andrew , Roger, Roger )
Charles Toothaker was born 1 Jun 1792 in Brunswick, Maine. He died 5 Nov 1872. Charles married Rebecca Woodside on 28 Nov 1815. Rebecca was born 3 Sep 1796. She died 4 Jul 1880.
They had the following children:
- Charity Page was born 13 Apr 1816. She died 24 Jul 1840. Charity married Richard G. Dearborn on 10 Dec 1835.
- Joan was born 7 Oct 1817. Joan married (1) Levi FRYE on 9 Mar 1841. Joan also married (2) John S. Merritt.
- Charles Hiram was born 17 Jan 1819. He died 16 Jun 1889. Charles married Mary Millay on 20 Jun 1845. Mary was born 1813. She died 1892.
- John H. was born 12 Mar 1821. He died 1 May 1880 in California. John married Rebecca Aubens on 26 Nov 1846.
- Abigail Rodick was born 8 Apr 1824. She died 4 Dec 1836.
- Gideon was born 5 Feb 1827. He died in San Francisco, California.
- George A. was born 27 Aug 1829. George married Harriet Elizabeth Harmon. Harriet was born 22 Aug 1834.
- Henry T. was born 16 Feb 1831. He died 24 Nov 1868. Henry married Emma Day Winslow on 3 Nov 1852. Emma was born 23 Dec 1832. She died 2 Jun 1907.
- Edmund Dearborn was born 18 Nov 1834. He died 5 Jun 1879. Edmund married Mary C. Harmon. Mary was born 22 Aug 1834. She died 5 Jun 1879.
- Albert was born 28 Dec 1836. He died 1913. Albert married Lydia Peterson on 17 Jun 1865. Lydia was born 4 Apr 1841.
- Mary Ann was born 13 Jul 1838. She died 7 Oct 1839.
Ephraim Toothaker 6 (Ephraim , Seth , Andrew , Roger, Roger )
Ephraim Toothaker was born 5 Mar 1797 in Lisbon, Maine. Ephraim married Mary about 1825. Mary was born about 1800.
They had the following children:
- Abizer was born about 1828. Abizer married Mary Sinnett.
- Ephraim was born about 1830.
- Miriam was born 1832.
- Andrew J. was born 4 Jul 1834.
- Jackson was born about 1835. Jackson married (Prob.) Nancy Cunningham.
- William was born about 1837.
- Margaret was born about 1840.
Ebenezer Toothaker 6 (Ebenezer , Ebenezer , Andrew , Roger, Roger )
Ebenezer Toothaker was born about 1766 in Harpswell, Maine. Ebenezer married Phoebe Hincks on 30 Sep 1788 in Harpswell, Maine. Phoebe was born 15 Jan 1764 in Truro, Massachusetts. She died 26 Aug 1857 in Harpswell, Maine.
They had the following children:
- Samuel was born 11 Apr 1789 in Harpswell, Maine. He died 29 Sep 1856. Samuel married Elizabeth P. Brown.
- Cornelius was born 25 Sep 1790 in Harpswell, Maine. He died 22 Aug 1868 in Litchfield, Maine. Cornelius married Hannah M. Gray about 1812. Hannah was born Apr 1794. She died 13 Aug 1883.
- Elisha was born 15 Apr 1792. He died 14 Feb 1821.
- John was born 27 Oct 1793. He died 17 Aug 1872 in Richmond, Maine. John married (1) Sarah Sally Ridley on 1 Aug 1817. John also married (2) Lucretia Tothman on 29 Aug 1847. Lucretia died 1858. John also married (3) ? Willis.
- Mary was born 14 Dec 1795. She died 20 Dec 1795.
- Noah was born 13 Apr 1797. He died 2 Feb 1827.
John Toothaker 6 (Ebenezer , Ebenezer , Andrew , Roger, Roger )
John Toothaker was born 5 Jan 1779 in Harpswell, Maine. He died 8 Oct 1840 in Rangeley, Maine. John married Deborah Raymond before 1815 in Bowdoin, Maine. Deborah was born 14 Oct 1774. She died 4 Dec 1863 in Phillips, Maine.
They had the following children:
- Mary was born 1798. She died 14 May 1865. Mary married Joseph Hall.
- Nathaniel was born 1800. He died 1874. Nathaniel married Sarah Hoar on 1821 in First couple mar, Maine. Sarah was born 1804. She died 1879.
- William was born 1802. He died 1873. William married Mary Turnby.
- John was born 1804. He died 1882. John married Cordelia Fairbanks.
- Elijah Elisha was born 1806. He died in Caribou, Maine. Elijah married Aurelia Blethen.
- Abigail was born 1808. Abigail married Daniel Turnby. Daniel died 1902.
- Elizabeth was born 1811. She died 1891. Elizabeth married David Hoar.
- Edward Rev. was born 1813. He died 1878. Edward married Eunice Wilbur.
- Abner Squire was born 1815. He died 1880. Abner married Phebe Wilbur on 1836. Phebe was born 1819.
William Toothaker 6 (William , Ebenezer , Andrew , Roger, Roger )
William Toothaker was born 1782. He died after 1847. William married Mary Trim.
They had the following children:
- William was born 17 Dec 1809 in Isleboro. Long I, New York. He died 25 Sep 1864 in Dixmount, Maine. William married Mary Simpson on 1839. Mary was born 6 Mar 1815. She died 22 Jan 1905.
Joseph Toothaker 6 (John , Ebenezer , Andrew , Roger, Roger )
Joseph Toothaker was born 17 Feb 1795. He died 11 Jan 1878 in Richmond, Maine. Joseph married Sarah Campbell on 14 Jun 1821 in Bowdoin, Maine. Sarah was born 19 Oct 1802 in Richmond, Maine. She died 9 Sep 1856.
Joseph and Sarah had the following children:
- William Henry was born 9 Nov 1821 in Richmond, Maine. He died about 1901. William married M. Olive Dawes. Served in the 24th Maine Regiment in the Civil War.
- Elizabeth was born 25 Jul 1824 in Maine. Elizabeth married Samuel Berry on 3 Jul 1852.
- Margaret was born 23 May 1828.
- Cordelia Henry was born 24 May 1831. Cordelia married Stephen S. Moore. Stephen was born 1821.
- Marlila Marks was born 28 Oct 1833. Marlila married (1) ??? Coburn.
Marlila also married (2) Jesse L. Hatch on 20 Jan 1861.
- Clarinda Ewer was born 16 Sep 1836. Clarinda married Wiliam Hersey.
- Benjamin Franklin was born 6 Feb 1839 in Richmond, Maine. Benjamin Franklin and his brother, William Henry, were taken prisoners by the Confederacy. One would have died in prison had not the other been on kitchen detail and smuggled in food. The brothers served in the 24th Maine Regiment.
- Arvilla was born 12 Feb 1842. Arvilla married Thomas G. Huntington.
- Marshall W. was born 19 Oct 1844. He died 25 Oct 1929 in Richmond, Maine. Marshall married Maria Francis Smith Galusha on 5 Apr 1873 in Richmond, Maine. Maria was born 3 Apr 1844. She died 25 May 1925.
JacobToothaker 6 (John , Ebenezer , Andrew , Roger, Roger )
Jacob Toothaker was born 4 Jul 1803 in Harpswell, Maine. He died 9 Aug 1886 in Boothbay, Maine. Jacob married Lydia Giles on 19 Oct 1826. Lydia was born 1 Oct 1798. She died 16 Feb 1884.
They had the following children:
- Andrew D. was born 8 Sep 1827.
- Samuel was born 1829. He died 1892.
- Sarah Elizabeth was born 3 Nov 1831.
- Billerica, Massachusetts Vital Records
- Vermont Vital Records
- Census Records
- Stuebenville Land Office Records
- Fayette County, Ohio Probate (Marriages), Common Pleas (Chancery), and Recorder's Office (Deeds) Records
- Logan County, Ohio Probate Court Records (Deaths)
- Pickaway County, Ohio Probate Court Records (Marriages)
- Roger Toothaker's Revolutionary War Pension Record
- Horace Toothaker Family Bible, James W. Toothaker, Effingham, Ill.
- New Hampshire Vital Records
- Toothaker Cemetery, Summit Township, Effingham County, Illinois
- Freemanton Cemetery, Jackson Township, Effingham County, Ill.
- Salem Lloyd Cemetery, Madison Township, Fayette County, Ohio
- Good Hope Cemetery, Bokes Creek Township, Logan Co., Ohio
- History of Merrimack, N. H.
- Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England, James Savage, Baltimore 1965
- Lists of Persons of Quality, Hotten
- Narratives of the Witchcraft Cases 1648-1706, New York 1914, George Lincoln Burr, ed.
- Records of Salem Witchcraft copied from the Original Documents, New York 1969
- History & Genealogy of the Perley Family, M.V.B. Perley, Salem, Mass. 1906
- History of Billerica, Massachusetts, Henry A. Hazen, Boston 1883
- Historical Memoir of Billerica in Massachusetts, John Farmer, Amherst, N. H. 1810
- A Crosby Family, Nathan Crosby, Lowell, Mass. 1877
- Plymouth Colony Records
- A Delusion of Satan, Frances Hill, New York 1995
- Salem Witchcraft Papers, New York 1977
- Salem Witchcraft and Hawthorne's House of the Seven Gables, Enders A. Robinson, 1992
- Boston Transcripts
- Suffolk Co., Mass. Records, transcribed Paul Boyer & Stephen Nissenbaum, New York 1977
Thomas L. Ramsey 127 E. Main Street Elida, Ohio 45807
This Page Updated 7 May 2007 copyright Tom Ramsey